Thread: Newly discovered henge ten times bigger than Stonehenge

Forum owner Ishtar Babilu Dingir's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,610 Times in 3,341 Posts

Default Newly discovered henge ten times bigger than Stonehenge

This article is about the newly excavated Marden Henge in Wiltshire. But it is also clear that they are starting to realise that these henges and circles formed some sort of network. Their thinking probably only extends to that part of Britain, at the moment, or possibly the whole of Britain. I suppose it will take another generation before they realise that this planned network extends worldwide and follows geometric lines, even as far as the Great Pyramid at Giza.

Archaeologists have begun a major dig to unearth the hidden mysteries of a buried ancient stone circle site that is ten times bigger than Stonehenge.

The enormous 4,000 year old Marden Henge, in Wiltshire, is Britain's largest prehistoric structure stretching for 10.5 hectares, the equivalent of 10 football pitches.

English Heritage is carrying out a six-week dig hoping to reveal the secrets behind the giant henge which has baffled historians for centuries.

Most of the Neolithic henge has been destroyed over the years due to farming and erosion but minor excavations in 41 years ago estimate the site to between 2,000 and 2,400BC.

Marden Henge was once a 45ft high mound surrounded by a water filled ditch which was used for sacrificial offerings.

Although the henge no longer has its vast stone circle it has a large puzzling sunken circular feature which is almost unheard of at Neolithic sites.

A team of 15 archaeologists and historians believe the dig could show the ancient site is even more significant than both Stonehenge and Avebury stone circles.

Archaeologist Jim Leary, 34, said: 'Virtually nothing is known about this vast circle. We are starting from point zero.

'Marden Henge deserves to be understood more partly because of its size, but also due to its proximity to the more famous stone circles at Avebury and Stonehenge.

'The relationship between the latter two sites - chronology of their construction, whether it is built by the same people, how they were used, is of immense interest.

'How Marden relates to them is another layer of interest which we want to study.

'We are potentially looking at a much more intricate system of Neolithic ritual sites in this part of the world than we previously thought.

'The study of prehistory is entering a very exciting phase with lots of fascinating research and dating techniques emerging.

'The stunning discovery of Neolithic houses at Durrington Walls near Stonehenge a few years' ago, for example, has really turned things on its head.

'We certainly hope that this excavation will bring more pieces of the puzzle to light.'
    You can read more of this Daily Mail article here
    Ishtar's Gate forum is now closed.

I have a new book out now, available on Amazon:
    The Sacred Sex Rites of Ishtar: Shamanic sexual healing and sex magic.

Thanks

Default Re: Newly discovered henge ten times bigger than Stonehenge

Aberdeenshire Council have documented in the shire there are 91 stones 34 circles and 23 stone circles. I am trying to trace a map of all of these but I know that some of the stone circles I have visit are in a line. They also seem to be built on higher ground........ When I find a map I will post it. jo
    Live with Humility, J