Thread: The Glastonbury Zodiac and the Mysteries of Britain

Forum owner Ishtar Babilu Dingir's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,610 Times in 3,341 Posts

Default The Glastonbury Zodiac and the Mysteries of Britain

I'm going to start off this thread with an article by Mary Caine, who has done the most since Katharine Maltwood to bring the Glastonbury Zodiac into public recognition. In recent years, the mantle has passed to local friends, artist Yuri Leitch and astrologer John Wadsworth, who guides people on walks through the zodiac.

I will be meeting regularly with these people to learn what I can. I am also privileged to be working in the other dimensions with the spirit of the 10th century Abbot of Glastonbury and Archbishop of Canterbury, St Dunstan, and Rosmerta, the ancient Gaulish Goddess of the Levels.

The first bit of this piece of writing alludes to the legend of Jesus and Joseph of Arimathea being here. To me, it is just a legend because I don't believe that Jesus was a historical character, but mythological. However, it seems to me that someone from the Middle East was here, and it may have been Joseph of Arimathea or someone else... that's part of the mysteries which are yet to unravel.

mmM10WheelFortune.jpg

The Glastonbury Zodiac Key to the Mysteries of Britain
    Mary Caine

Around the town of Glastonbury, England, where Jesus spent time as a youth, and where Joseph of Arimathea, Jesus' uncle, founded the Christian Church of England in 37 AD, there is built into the landscape a huge Zodiac, only discovered in recent times.

Copious evidence of prehistoric interference with the landscape can by seen on every side; there were obviously early and important settlements here with hardly a hill that has not been terraced or fortified; tumuli and other earthworks abound. The Tor already impressive enough, has been laboriously terraced into something reminiscent of a Chaldean Ziggurat, or a step-pyramid. Its influence on the whole area is hypnotic; it is a constant reminder of eternity -- a gnarled prophetic finger pointing to another and disturbing dimension. Impossible to resist its imperial bidding for long, it impels us to ascend and contemplate wider horizons.

The Glastonbury Zodiac is the earthly counterpart of the Caer Sidi of the Celts - a great Star-Temple, reflecting in its natural contours and streams the Zodiac in the heavens. So accurately indeed does it mirror the heavenly pattern that the stars of the Zodiac fit over its earthly effigies when the planisphere is scaled to the map of Avalon.

That this antiquity has lain so long forgotten is due, paradoxically, to its immense size. It is literally too big to be seen. These giant figures - one of them is five miles across - lie stretched over the Vale of Avalon in a great circle ten miles in diameter. Glastonbury Tor is it's northern sighting point; Somerton and Lyte's Cary bound it on the south. The effigies are formed and outlined by hills, contours, earthworks, roads, paths, ancient field boundaries, and by natural and artificial waterways. They consist of the twelve signs of the Zodiac in their correct order, with a thirteenth figure, the largest of all, lying outside the circle to the southwest. This is the great dog of Langport, who guards the sacred abode of Annwn, just as Cerberus guarded the gates of Hades.

Sole credit for discovering the Glastonbury Giants belongs to Katharine Maltwood. In 1927 she was asked to draw an itinerary of the Grail-Quest in Avalon for "The High History of the Holy Grail", a Norman-French manuscript newly translated into English. Studying its text, which purports to have been written at Glastonbury Abbey, she found that the castles and adventures of the knights accurately corresponded to places in the Vale of Avalon. Following their encounters with dragons, giants, lions and other alarming fauna on the map, she was amazed to find that she too was confronted by a huge lion, its underside accurately drawn by the river Cary from Somerton to Lyte's Cary; its back traced by an ancient road, Somerton Lane.

A geographical giant revealed itself next contoured by Dundon and Lollover Hills. An astrologer friend with whom she discussed these strange finds suggested from their relative positions that they might be Leo and Gemini of the Zodiac - and it was not long before the whole consort of Glastonbury Giants was restored, after centuries of oblivion.

Who made it? When? And why? There can be no doubt that this Zodiac in essence, is natural. Its huge figures moulded by hills and lesser contours is partly outlined by rivers and streams whose course is determined by them. The whole complex measures some ten or twelve miles across, thirty miles around and can hardly be the unaided work of man. No, it was modelled by a vaster hand; whether we like to call it Nature, Cosmic Forces, or simply God.

So the question, "who made the Zodiac," must it seems have a dual answer; it was made by Nature in the first place, and continued by man. The Zodiac can be seen in 20th century maps perhaps more clearly than in the past. The paths are widening into motor roads and some are becoming dual carriage-ways. Yet this is not to say that the design was unknown, unrecognized. There is indeed much evidence in early writings to show that it was known.

The second question "When was it made?" must then take us back to the geological ages when the hills were first formed and the streams first began to flow. But this was only the beginning; its continuous development embraces all the ages of man down to the present day.

The third question, "Why was it made?" has already been answered by Dunstan's biographer with commendable succinctness. It was prepared, he tells us, "for the salvation of mankind".

What a flavor of infinity there is about all these answers! We come to it in our usual state of partial consciousness, expecting a clear yes or no, and get both yes and no at once. This in itself is a hint that we are in touch with infinity.

Recommended Reading:

Enchantments of Britain by Katherine Maltwood
    The Enchantments of Britain is the result of decades of work on the ancient writings of the world's religions, comparisons of the various versions of the Arthurian legends, and examination of the work of other historians which is brought together from the strands of a complex and fascinating story.

Glastonbury's Temple Of The Stars by Katherine Maltwood
    The famous zodiac was discovered on the advent of aerial photography. From studying these photographs and comparing them with the evidence of myth and detailed maps, Katherine Maltwood discovered a vast and complex pattern of figures in the contours and landmarks of the Avalon.
    Last edited by Ishtar Babilu Dingir; July 4th, 2012 at 01:55 PM.
    Ishtar's Gate forum is now closed.

I have a new book out now, available on Amazon:
    The Sacred Sex Rites of Ishtar: Shamanic sexual healing and sex magic.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ishtar Babilu Dingir For This Useful Post:

Cognito (July 4th, 2012),Jaguarwoman (July 7th, 2012),Mike Williams (July 4th, 2012),newborn (August 25th, 2013)

Thanks

What an amazing woman Katherine Maltwood was. I have been completely enthralled reading about this discovery. Thankyou for all the wonderful information Ishtar.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaguarwoman For This Useful Post:

Ishtar Babilu Dingir (July 7th, 2012)

Forum owner Ishtar Babilu Dingir's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,610 Times in 3,341 Posts

I still have so much to learn about this zodiac, not mention all the others worldwide, but at least I've made a start.

I think it might be a bit like mushroom-hunting. Have you ever done that Cailin? When you first go searching for mushrooms, you can't see a single one and then after you finally spot one, you suddenly see dozens of them that were there all along.

I think in years to come, and probably long after most of us are no longer around, they will discover that the whole world is covered in these Earth zodiacs and that most place names come from these stories about the stars.
    Ishtar's Gate forum is now closed.

I have a new book out now, available on Amazon:
    The Sacred Sex Rites of Ishtar: Shamanic sexual healing and sex magic.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ishtar Babilu Dingir For This Useful Post:

Cognito (July 7th, 2012),Jaguarwoman (July 7th, 2012)

Thanks

I think in years to come, and probably long after most of us are no longer around, they will discover that the whole world is covered in these Earth zodiacs and that most place names come from these stories about the stars.
    Your comment makes perfect sense from an ancient point of view. To them, the earth and the sky was sacred. Reflecting the stars in the landscape would have been logical, allowing for the continuation of important rituals and, further, doing so would have provided an excellent mnemonic travel map between settlements.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cognito For This Useful Post:

Jaguarwoman (July 7th, 2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ishtar View Post

I think it might be a bit like mushroom-hunting. Have you ever done that Cailin? When you first go searching for mushrooms, you can't see a single one and then after you finally spot one, you suddenly see dozens of them that were there all along.

I used to go mushroom hunting every season with my mother as a child. I am reminded of how one thing leads to another and once you learn where to look then many things are shown that you were once blind to.
    Did you ever visit the place in Jaipur where they had a massive lay out of the Astrology symbols in the ground? They were huge and I only had a moment there but have thought about them ever since.
    Last edited by Jaguarwoman; July 8th, 2012 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Mistake