Thread: Washington DeCoded: The Lost City

Thanks

Default Washington DeCoded: The Lost City

I've been generously invited to introduce my new ebook on Ishtar's Gate. It shows what was found when geometrical principles were applied to the city design of Washington, D.C.

Washington DeCoded: The Lost City
    C. Hardaker 2011

http://washingtondecoded.net/
    http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/washi ... y/14679809

The book examines a number of geometrical features embedded in the plan for Washington, D.C, first drawn up in 1792 and faithfully laid out exactly the same on the ground. The features resemble Great Seal symbols, such as the Pyramid-Eye of Providence, the Hexagram (Star of David), and an Eagle. I ended up with and odd but inescapable idea: that the design itself may have been envisioned as a huge Seal in its own right, impressed on the landscape as if it was hot wax. With respect to the narrative voice, a previous subtitle was: Or, a funny thing happened on the way to the Inauguration.

Chapter 5 is available at my website and the Lulu website. It is an intro to the methodology and introduces my Freemason informant, Ray. It focuses on the star north of the White House.

So many films have talked about satan worship among the Founders, that they were Illuminati, and that all Freemasons were Illuminati at the start. Invariably, as in Riddles In Stone, the evil spectre of the upside down star pointing to the White House is telegraphed by the eeevil background music that introduces it. Invariably, again, when I look at the websites that are associating satan with the Founders, it is a fundamentalist Christian outfit, or else Illuminati conspiracy buffs who are a few fries short of a happy meal. This theoretical nonsense is tackled in my Chapter 2: Satan City.

George Washington himself called the Illuminati diabolical, well aware they were trying to infiltrate American lodges. The thing is, they had not taken over yet. The symbols of the Seal are anti-Illuminati, anti-royalist, anti-bankster, anti-Church. It is not their fault if the Illuminati appropriated the symbols. Hitler used the swastika and forever pissed off the Buddhists by ruining what had been a nice symbol. So it goes.

In Chapter 5, I dispose of the idea that the star is an upside-down satan star. Instead, it seems to be part of a larger pattern that incorporates a huge star pointing up, along with the actual geometric identity of the star itself. It is not a perfect pentagram. It is associated with the octagon.

I am including a short chapter about where I was coming from when I was assigned Washington, D.C. for my Master's thesis. I had proposed my Anasazi research. My chairman suggested DC.

If the chapter was reduced to a sentence, it would be:
    'It's not my fault; the geometry was already there.'

__________________________________________________ _____

from
    Washington DeCoded:The Lost City
    Chapter 3. Context of Discovery

The discoveries were the result of an archaeological challenge. The non-history of the 1792 Revision compelled me to investigate the plan from a non-historical, geometric point of view. After all, this is what I was doing in the first place. I was experimenting with classical geometry as an archaeological tool, as a methodology to investigate the architecture of the circular kivas built by the prehistoric Anasazi at Chaco Canyon, N.M. I found fairly good evidence that they knew how to square a circle. My chairman says no dice, 'too fringy.'He suggests, "Why don't you look at the Baroque, it's historically strong."Trying to quell the sudden explosion of tears on the other side of his desk, he blurted out, "What about Washington, DC?" That was December 1988.

I had never seen a map of Washington DC, nor had it occurred to me to do so. I did not know what a Freemason was, but knew it had something to do with funny hats and riding tricycles in parades. I wanted a higher degree in Anthropology. My research was Prehistoric American, but my new bumper sticker was: The Baroque or Bust. So, this is just to affirm that:

a) There was no preconceived agenda; and
    b) It's not my fault; the geometry was already in the city.

Any personal foreknowledge of the symbols of the Great Seal came from the PBS project, The Power Of Myth, with Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers. It included a discussion on the mythology of the Great Seal and Reason. It remains the best overall summary of the Great Seal I have seen because it was grounded in the concept, reason.

CAMPBELL: No, no, you have to distinguish between reason and thinking.
    MOYERS: Distinguish between reason and thinking? If I think, am I not reasoning things out?
    CAMPBELL: Yes, your reason is one kind of thinking. But thinking things out isn't necessarily reason in this sense. Figuring out how you can break through a wall is not reason. The mouse who figures out, after it bumps its nose here, that perhaps he can get around there, is figuring something out the way we figure things out. But that's not reason. Reason has to do with finding the ground of being and the fundamental structuring of order of the universe.
    MOYERS: So when these men talked about the eye of God being reason, they were saying that the ground of our being as a society, as a culture, as a people, derives from the fundamental character of the universe?
    CAMPBELL: That's what this first pyramid says. This is the pyramid of the world, and this is the pyramid of our society, and they are of the same order. This is God's creation, and this is our society. (Campbell 1988:29-31)

Campbell talks of different types of mythologies. The myths we often think of pertain to the exploits of gods, angels, demons, all with personalities and stories to tell. There is another kind of myth that he refers to as the mythology of being, of self-realization, spiritual enlightenment, satori. Every religion accommodates this experience, usually catalogued under mysticism. It has nothing to do with the gods, but everything to do with clarity, and wider and deeper levels of awareness regarding the human condition. Images of Buddha epitomize self realization.

As a student of comparative religion, my attraction was Zen Buddhism, Taoism, and other oriental philosophies. I liked simple. Western philosophies always seemed long-winded “ never say in a sentence what you can say in a paragraph. Zen seemed to make points in a short breath. The 10 Oxherding Pictures are an elegant illustration. And this is what pulled me into the geometry, its simplicity, and how it played out seamlessly, flawlessly, perfectly, naturally, forever and a day.

Western mystical traditions where geometry plays a role were always too difficult, too complex. The systems that combine geometry with magic, astrology, geomancy, psychic powers and ectoplasmic entities were, and remain, complex and very confusing; and much of it is still celebrated in secret. This world is insightfully and spookily portrayed in Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum, a novel you could use as a text for Modern Western Mysticism 101.

It is a much different culture than my own pseudoquasi Zen worldview, which in Western culture would be close to the Deism camp. Beyond my attraction to the geometry as an archaeological tool, I was attracted to its being, the idea that it exists at all, not its secrets. For example, from the Tao Te Ching, #42: 'Tao gives birth to one. One gives birth to two. Two gives birth to three. Three gives birth to the 10,000 things'.

Or the commentary from the I Ching's Hexagram 2: Earth (Wilhelm/Baynes translation), where heaven is the circle and earth is the square.

Straight, square, great.
    Without purpose,
    Yet nothing remains unfurthered.
    [Commentary:] The symbol of heaven is the circle, and that of earth is the square. Thus squareness is a primary quality of the earth. On the other hand, movement in a straight line, as well as magnitude, is a primary quality of the Creative. But all square things have their origin in a straight line and in turn form solid bodies. In mathematics, when we discriminate between lines, planes and solids, we find that rectangular planes result from straight lines, and cubic magnitudes from rectangular planes. The Receptive accommodates itself to the qualities of the Creative and makes them its own. Thus a square develops out of a straight line and a cube out of a square. This is compliance with the laws of the Creative; nothing is taken away, nothing added. Therefore the Receptive has no need of a special purpose of its own, nor of any effort, yet everything turns out as it should.

My take on the Pyramid and the Eye accommodates that worldview. I believe, for the Founders, it was about self-realization, the celebration of the individual, the mind set free “ and the formation of a government that accommodates that kind of personal anarchy. Thomas Jefferson's notion of a national church was a university. The Pyramid provides a sound foundation, but it is not finished. The work will be guided by the Eye of God, the Eye of Reason, the 3rd Eye, the Eye of the God of Geometry, the Creator. Or rather, the symbols could be about that. They can also be about Big Brother/Big Sister. They can also be about whatever the Pharaohs said they meant. For some extremists, the Founders who were Masons were pagans, therefore satanists. It is a free country and they can think and say what they want. The Founders made it so.

The Great Seal has a deep history, the result of a complex of intertwining histories of architecture, symbols, philosophies, worldviews. It reveals the history of a turning point, a qualitative step to a higher realm of social order, more egalitarian, one ruled by Law and governed by elected officials. America is an ideal, a culture, a place. It was a government closer to God, to Reason, to both. Of your choosing. Nobody could force you away from your belief. That was the idea. It was a leap, a punctuated equilibrium event for Homo sapiens, the cultural evolution of a governing philosophy let loose upon the world, a new spirit and letter of the law. The American way was an entirely new way of acting out nationhood and self-governance without royalty or the Church. It was a dream come true, and due largely to President Washington, the first advocate for term limits. He could have been a king, but after two terms as president he refused a third.

The discoveries in this book are not historic and they are without precedent. While some of the geometric features have been singled out before, none have been catalogued according to their geometric source. To know what to look for, it is important to grasp what the language is all about. Classical Geometry is a language of shapes and space, and comes with its own syntax. This spatial language saturates most religious and national iconographies around the world. Advertisers took it and ran with it for corporate logos.

Geometry is one of the fundamental structures of the universe. That is why it was regarded as sacred, like the sun, in so many early cultures and civilizations. Buckminster Fuller referred to it as design science -- celebrated every year at the Bridges Conference.

The symbols chosen by the Founders turn up in the initial geometric construction: the vesica pisces.

Forum owner Ishtar Babilu Dingir's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,610 Times in 3,341 Posts

Default Re: Washington DeCoded: The Lost City

I've just posted this picture so that Facebook can pick it up.

Chris, I so enjoyed reading this, and I'm going to read it again before I reply.
    Ishtar's Gate forum is now closed.

If you'd like to follow my writings, I have a blog: Crystallising the Dreaming Time.

I also have a new book out soon: The Sacred Sex Rites of Ishtar: Shamanic sexual healing and sex magic.

Thanks

Lahks of places to go with this, but let us start with a certain emperor-shaman

[attachment=0:rckd8atr]Fuxi-scroll-painting.jpg[/attachment:rckd8atr]
    Click for fullsize

The Legend of Fuxi
    Chinese civilization begins with the cultural hero Fu Xi (Fu Hsi), the first emperor of China who reigned for over 100 years, more than 5,000 years ago. Legend says he was a shaman who could tame wild animals by telepathic communication and who could also control the weather patterns. He invented many arts such as fishing, trapping, cooking, the calendar, angular measurement, music and writing. They say that after witnessing a very unique turtle come out of the water after a great flood, he noticed that it had very special markings and patterns on its shell, and soon afterward this event Fuxi was inspired to create the trigrams and Tai Chi principles of the I Ching.
    Bolding mine.

It has seemed to me for a very long time that the Hexagram and its kinfolk

Are about as close as you can get to

A taproot of sacred geometry.

(Now, I'm prejudiced, because - talk about Kozmic Lines of Occurrence, here -

The Ten Oxherding Pictures, the Tao te Ching of Lao Tzu and Wilhelm/Baynes have been

Constant companions since the mid-sixties!)

But back to my point,

The practise of sacred geometry

Is shamanic in essence, and without shamanic grounding

Is meaningless.

Und so, the abject confusion and denial of same

By modren westeren ladeez and gennulmen

Of the scienteefic bent.

Thus, Washington is very much a shamanic outcropping

Protruding from the sidehill of Western Civ.,

Overtopping it, in fact, when you view it a certain light

Which you certainly have.

This is compliance with the laws of the Creative; nothing is taken away, nothing added. Therefore the Receptive has no need of a special purpose of its own, nor of any effort, yet everything turns out as it should.

hoka hey

wĆ³drĢ„

Thanks

Thanks, Ishtar.
    Wodr, when you mentioned Vonnegut I figured we were pretty much on the same track. I think it is time for me to re-read Cat's Cradle, this time seriously!

Thanks

Chris, sorry to be late with my comments on this.

There is a reason. I cannot comment substantively because your work is cutting across/dovetailing with some of my own which I haven't yet written about and also am not quite ready to, just yet. It involves medieval knowledge and practise of alchemy and how it ties in with their sacred architectural geometric templates ... although whether or not the post-Enlightenment Washingtonians knew about this aspect, I have no idea. They may have just been copying the outer form of how the Egyptians, Mesopotamians and Vedics in the Neolithic built their temples and altars without understanding the reason why. Certainly, there a very few Masons today that seem to know the inner significance of their rituals and architecture.

I think you have some very good stuff in this book and it is a fantastic contribution to the debate. I love your writing style ... it's very warm and accessible. I haven't read your chapter on the Devil-tinted spectacles of Christian thought, but from what you say here, I'm sure I'd agree with every word of it.

I would only slightly demur on whether or not the Western Mystery Tradition's input would be useful in our understanding about this subject. I agree it is a complex mire of secret practises, and some none too savoury! However, in my experience, I'm finding that it is only in understanding these practises that we can get the view of the Hermeticist, and by understanding the Thrice Great Hermes, we start to understand the significance of these geometric templates to the Egyptians, and thus the wider Neolithic cognitive framework. To that end, I think you may benefit from reading The Complete Idiot's Guide to Alchemy thread. Also Freemason Manly P Hall on the Dionysiac Architects gives us some idea about how widespread this architectural practice was.

If you'd like to follow my writings, I have a blog: Crystallising the Dreaming Time.

I also have a new book out soon: The Sacred Sex Rites of Ishtar: Shamanic sexual healing and sex magic.

Thanks

As for reading Cat's Cradle serioso, and also

Going to the immutable core of sacred geometrica

I stand in awe of the Master,

Han Shan

Cold Mountain is a house
    Without beams or walls.
    The six doors left and right are open
    The hall is sky blue.
    The rooms all vacant and vague
    The east wall beats on the west wall
    At the center nothing.
    All of the Cold Mountain Poems, as translated by Gary Snyder,

Are here: http://www.hermetica.info/hanshan.htm

Now, I think with some amusement about writing

A revelatory tract that debunks the Freemasons and

Introduces the thesis that the City of Washington,

And Amerikay - the 'murrican dream - was

The work of a loosely affiliated group of Shamans.

DeToqueville as a direct descendant of the Sorcerer of Lascaux.

Hah

Could probably get onto the feelgood speaking circuit with that one!

But, so, so untrue.

To the point that at the core of all of us is

Something we now call the Shamanic, buried under

Ten thousand years of detritus heaped with malice aforethought by

The Inquisition of Religion, Politics, Economics, "Science"

And Warfare.......... to name a few of

The more unlovely traits which began with the Neolithic.

As for the symbols: we have both the bravado and the lost eyes

Of orphans, arranging and re-arranging the few manifest artefacts

Of their elders with no understanding of the real play.

"Ashes, ashes, we all fall down....", the master work of

The children of the Black Plague, still sung today.

Indeedy.

And Han Shan? Made a deal with the Devil in return for his immortal soul

To twist the commonly accepted cant a little.

The Devil? Well, that's another howl at the Moon.

Vonnegut was a neighbor of mine/ours when I was a small boy. I don't remember him.

hoka hey

wĆ³drĢ„

Thanks

Thanks Ishtar. One of the finest intros I read about the nefarious side of the western mystery tradition was Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco, a novel. One of the distinctions he makes relates to Freemasons and Rosicrucians. Freemasons, when asked, admit they are Freemasons. Rosicrucians deny it. And Eco plays with that throughout. For example, if someone asks you if you are a Rosicrucian and you say you are, then you aren't. If you deny you are a Rosicrucian, then it means you are.

Then, as now, my mystical orientation to things is mostly oriental and deist, based on direct experience with spirit. One of the great books I read that seemed to put the human condition in a nutshell was Mircea Eliade's Myth of Eternal Return and the Forge and the Crucible. Eliade was a master.

One of the aspects of the DC discoveries I am hoping to tap into at the Gate are the large zodiacs imprinted into the landscapes of England (and elsewhere?). They present the same God's Eye approach to terrestrial planning. I first found out about them in 1983, my maiden trip to England, and a book I bought about the zodiac around Glastonbury. It filled me with awe. How is that holding up? Is it still valid or has it been debunked?

Thanks

Aaargh now, mee loveleeee... we don't hold with no debunkers round these parts. We pack 'em off on the first bus out of here!

Yes, the Glastonbury Zodiac is still very much here '¦ as it must have been for untold thousands of years. Of course, it's not a Zodiac in the astrological sense of the word, by which I mean the sstrological Mazzoroth that was an artificial construct 'imposed'on the heavens sometime in the last couple of thousand years. But the Glastonbury Zodiac is a circle of animals, which is the Greek meaning of Zodiac. It's just that the animals in this Zodiac actually reflect the constellations in the sky. So it's more of a sky map.

(Just thought, if you haven't already seen it, you might be interested in our Star Maps of the Palaeolithic and Neolithic thread. There are some interesting theories in there about cave art (i.e. the Sorceror of Lascaux) being a star map, and also the artwork on the stones at Gobekli Tepe).

There is also another huge landwork star map at Malvern, which is in the centre of the country. See this thread by its discoverer, arcturos: The Malvern Zodiac and a further thread of his on a detail of it The Bull of Heaven (who we now know was an auroch!).

Malvern Zodiac

I have read the books you mentioned by Mircae Eliade, which I found useful. But to me, his classic is Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy. If you don't know it, it's a sort of pull together of reports and interviews with shamans worldwide at the turn of the 19th/20th century. And even better than reading about it, I find it extremely fruitful to actually do the shamanic journeys talked about by these shamans. These are beneficial for all kinds of reasons, but one way of using them is to get in touch with, and work to 'heal' or clear, the geometric morphic energetic templates of the land.

I, along with many others, have been doing this work in Glastonbury, of working with the spirits to literally change the shape of these geometric energetic templates, to help usher in and support the new consciousness of the world age that's now emerging. There are so many people doing this kind of work here that Glastonbury is a heaving cauldron of spirit activity, which I think you may have noticed, to some extent!

Of course, we're straying far beyond where science can support our thinking here, and into the realms of what's known a "magic" ~ but "magic", to me, only means it's a technology not yet understood by science. Along those lines, if you want to follow me thus far, is another piece of work you may be interested in which cognitively underpins some of this thinking. Robert Coons has discovered through dowsing a huge serpentine system that runs through the Earth in the same way that the craniosacral fluid system runs through the body. I've written about this in the thread Earth chakras and ley lines. Here's some work going deeper into it by David Hatcher Childress Mapping the World Grid and Ley Lines and the Meaning of Adam by Richard Leviton and Robert Coons.

Here's Robert Coon's world map of this huge serpentine system:

[img]http://api.ning.com/files/UUSotrMFbESEkX9ddfIFTE9mveKhRFFwRVU9bqw6TI5YhlviFX kX6kCs3UsK*H*jAjGvnq3sj0f09uFUYSopTOb7Bx4fsh9l/earth_chakras.gif?width=492[/img]

Anyway, according to some of this thinking, Glastonbury is positioned on the heart chakra of the world and so any work on the land done here, in clearing the energetic lines, flows out to the rest of the Earth. I was involved in some of this 'clearing' work over the winter solstice ~ the solstices and equinoxes are when the energies are at their highest, and also the Celtic quarter days have pretty high energies. The next Celtic quarter day after the winter solstice was on February 2nd, and this is known as Imbolc. It's interesting that Cairo, which erupted over Imbolc, is positioned on the throat chakra. So it will be a real vindication for this work if something happens over one of the other Earth chakras on the spring equinox, as the energy flows seek to reach some sort of equilibrium.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtar Babilu Dingir For This Useful Post:

Vinchenz (March 5th, 2013)

Thanks

it's been a long time since I saw them. it will be a nice tour. thanks.

Thanks

There is also another huge landwork star map at Malvern, which is in the centre of the country. See this thread by its discoverer, arcturos: The Malvern Zodiac and a further thread of his on a detail of it The Bull of Heaven (who we now know was an auroch!).
    And further, Chris. Arcturos and I are the best of friends!

Thanks

Hey guy!! Welcome to the other half of my Gemini life. Finally was able to get it off the back burner.
    This is a pretty interesting place.

Thanks

Yes, your yin needs to develop as well as your yang. Or is that the other way around? No matter ...

Welcome to an alternative reality!*

* Did Christiansen really drink your case of Millers?