PDA

View Full Version : The Sun and Climate Change

Cognito
April 3rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
Miracles never cease. The Global Warming Policy Foundation website just published an article stating that the sun may actually have a greater impact on climate change than carbon dioxide. Yes, Al Gore may wish to start drinking the Cool-Aid at this point.

Matt Ridley: Keeping An Open Mind About The Sun

Correlation ain't causation. But for some time I have been noticing that the correlations between certain aspects of solar activity and certain aspects of climate are getting really rather impressive -- far more so than anything relating to carbon dioxide.

Carbon dioxide certainly can affect climate, but so for sure can other things, and in explaining the ups and downs of past climate, before industrialisation, variations in the sun are looking better and better as an explanation. That does not mean the sun causes current climate change, but it certainly suggests that it is at least possible that forcings more powerful than carbon dioxide could be at work.

I am not yet a solar partisan in this debate, nor do I plan to become one. But I find the hypothesis that solar variation has been stronger than carbon dioxide in recent decades sufficiently intriguing that I do not see why it should be dismissed yet.

Here are some of the correlations that have impressed me. Some may be wrong, or misleading. Some come from more trustworthy causes sources than others. Some might have been smoothed or otherwise manipulated. I don't really know. But it's interesting to lay them out.
The remainder of this article may be accessed here. (http://www.thegwpf.org/science-news/2747-matt-ridley-keeping-an-open-mind-about-the-sun.html)

Hey Matt, 'correlation ain't causation' but when I go outside during the day, it's warm. When I go outside at night, it's cold - the difference ain't CO2, buckwheat! :D

Digit
April 4th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Oh Lord! The experts talking sense, what next, a tax on sunlight perhaps? Use too much and a letter from the Council on reducing you sunlight footprint?

Roy.